Monday, February 6, 2012

Don't Forget to Pray

This weeks music moment was one of my favorite hymns, Did You Think To Pray. I have always loved this hymn but don't ask me why, I couldn't give you a straight answer. I guess I just love the feeling I get when I hear this song and the great reminder it gives to remember to rely on the Lord. The hymn reminds us to call upon the Lord's help when for loving favor, for patience with those around you, and to help you get through trials.

I love what the Bible Dictionary says about prayer. "As soon we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father, and we are his children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part. Many of the so called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting this relationship. Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them. Blessings require some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a form of work, and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all blessings."

I have to admit that prayer is one of my weaknesses. I know it. To read the words from the scriptures, knowing that I am a daughter of God, and the words of one of my favorite hymns gives me hope and strength to do better in my communication with my Father. I will try and do better at talking to my Father. To help me do this, I made this little handout for the Relief Society sisters to remind all of us to not forget to pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment