Thursday, February 6, 2014

Service from the Heart

My friend Megan is amazing. She is always so giving and willing to help anyone she meets. I will be forever grateful to her for teaching me how to crochet. I have always wanted to learn how to crochet and she took the time 2 years ago to teach me how to crochet. We started simple with scarves. I have since moved on to baby blankets but I still love going back to the beginning with scarves.

Megan was telling me about how she likes to make scarves to donate to charitable organizations every year. I joined forces with her and helped contribute to these donations. I don't ever ask where they go I just give her my scarves as I'm finished with them. In 2012, our scarves were given to families affected by Hurricane Sandy.

In 2013, she donated the scarves to the local fire department to distribute to their charitable organizations. Now we had started off the year with a goal of 100 scarves which is a hefty goal for two people to try and complete. That was essentially a scarf a week each. But we knew we could do it. I also recruited the help of the Young Women in my parents ward in Missouri. They needed a service project for girls camp so they helped make scarves to contribute to the cause. We didn't quite make it to 100 scarves but we were pretty darn close.

This year we will be combining forces again to make scarves. If anyone would like to help contribute to this just let me or Megan know. We would love more help with this. After all, giving warms our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment