Friday, February 21, 2014

Orlando, Orlando, Wherefore Art Though Orlando

Ok, so yes I know that Romeo and Juliet are supposed to be two young teenagers who don't know what love is and tragically kill themselves over foolish notions of eternal love. But come on!!!! Orlando Bloom as Romeo!!!!!!!! I will play a ditsy Juliet to his Romeo any day.
Alright, calm down fan girl. but seriously it was an interesting take on Shakespeare. It was kind of a modern style of dress and interpretation of Shakespeare's words. There wasn't much to the set or staging. Very low key with the props and such. Not much for wardrobe changes or anything. Loved the red socks and purple underwear Orlando!
 
It was also kind of fun to see Justin Guilian perform as Paris. Haven't seen him since the movie From Justin to Kelly. Eyeliner suits you Justin.

Now I have to say that I am much more of a musical fan than I am a play fan. I need music to help me express what I'm feeling. I find that music just touches my heart in a way that words don't quite express. Maybe that is because people today say exactly what they mean with little feeling behind them. I know that I am terrible at trying to express what I am trying to say. I don't feel like I have an original thought in my mind but I am a great copy cat.

The story of Romeo and Juliet is not new. It has been around for many years with several interpretations or copy cats if you will. I found on IMDB no more than 8 movies that have been mad with the title Romeo and Juliet. That's just movies with the same name. This doesn't include alternative interpretations like West Side Story and how many different stage productions of Romeo and Juliet. Crazy! Makes me think that the line "what's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." True doesn't matter what you call it, the various colors, blooms, designs you make it, or call it, it will still be wonderful and having meaning to someone. So maybe it's okay to take up ideas from someone else, put your own take on it and share it with others. I guess that is what Pinterest is for right?

So bravo to another great interpretation of a classic tale.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment