Sunday, June 16, 2013

Ireland Day 3

 Today's adventures led us to the Cliffs of Moher. One of the most photographic cliffs in Ireland. Looking out over the Atlantic Ocean the cliffs are truly a magically beautiful sight to behold. It was a rather blustery day the day we went. I had to be careful to not get blown away. But I was determined to get a picture of me on the cliffs edge. Daredevil I know. We hiked over to the rock cliffs along the edge and I got caught up in the wind that pinned me to the wall for a good little while. Walking around the paths the wind at one point actually started to blow me away. Crazy! Besides the wind it was truly a beautiful day out.
 Behind me you can see Brian's Tower that was built many years ago to help tourists really see down the edge of the cliffs. My only disappointment was that I didn't see any puffins :( Oh well.

We decided to do some land exploring and found a place for spelunking. Doolin Cave is home to the largest stalactite in the world. The stalactite was discovered by two British cavers who found a small hole behind a waterfall that they literally crawled through on their stomachs for about a 1/4 mile. They would have had to crawl out of the hole backwards to get out. Yikes! Thank goodness they have installed over 100 stairs for us to climb down into the cave. While exhausting to climb back up they are much more practical to get in.

The stalactite reminds me of a white cape hanging on a coat rack. It's so amazing what nature can create.

Time to go back to the Cliffs of Moher to take an ocean view look of the cliffs. Or as I like to think of it, the dolphins view. Maybe a mermaids.
 It was a pretty rocky boat ride out to the cliffs. I was inside the boat for a little while but with all the rocking up and down I was beginning to get sea sick. I would look out of the window and one minute you would be looking at the sky and the next second you would be looking into the ocean blue water. I certainly did not want to be trapped inside our little boat, so I braved the wind and cold to stand on the deck. It was a pretty nice view of the Cliffs. It was so cool to be on the Atlantic Ocean.
 Leaving the Cliffs of Moher we made our way to Kilrush where we found St. Senan's Church. The rose window was just gorgeous.http://www.kilrushparish.com/
 We found a place to eat in Kilrush and then walked over to see the Church of Ireland for a quick peek of their graveyard. It's amazing how many beautiful churches there are in Ireland and yet so few people actually worship in them.


No comments:

Post a Comment