Thursday, May 23, 2013

Ireland Day 1

I was so excited to be able to go to Ireland with Diana Smith. We had some great adventures together. After arriving at the Dublin airport, collecting our luggage, exchanging our American money for Euros, and picking up our rental car we were off on our adventure.

The first place we went to was Malahide Castle. It was a beautiful castle in the Talbot family. We took the tour through the dungeon, banquet halls and a few other rooms. The gardens were gorgeous to walk through. It was so nice to stretch our legs after the long plane ride.

After the castle we made our way to the Guinness Factory for our tour of one of Irelands most famous icons, the beer. It was a packed crowd inside all excited for their free pint. I enjoyed my Coke as I looked over the view of the city from the 360 room. I do have to appreciate the process that it takes to make beer.







And what tour would be complete without a trip to jail? We toured the Kilmainham Gaol which really helped to explain Irish history. The jail was quite fascinating actually. I think its so interesting how many times the people tried to start a revolution before they were finally able to succeed in gaining independence from England. it's also interesting how when there was a time of famine the jails were full because just wanted a meal. The jail has been preserved quite nicely and it is even used by many film crews. Les Miserable (an older version) was filmed here.



After jail we headed to our first hotel which was a beautiful golf resort. We were extremely tired and once I made it in the room and saw the beautiful deep tub I knew I was done for the night. I had a lovely bath where I actually fell asleep in the tub. It was the best nap ever. So many more exciting places to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment