Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas with the Family

I was so very grateful to be able to go home for Christmas and spend some time with my family. My parents moved this summer to Pattonsburg, MO. I had never been out to the new house so it was good to be there to spend time with them. I haven't been home to see my family since June so I desperately needed to spend some time with them.

The flight in was a breeze and I was so excited to have my mom, dad, Kami, Cade and my niece Riley come pick me up at the airport. Since I knew it had been a while since I had seen my niece I brougth some bribing material, princess fruit snacks. She warmed up to me pretty quick with these.

It has become tradition that when I visit home the first place we go is to Sams Club. I thought with my family moving that this would have changed. It hadn't. First stop Sams Club where We had a great time roaming the aisles and reading books. The pizza was good too.

I finally got to see my parents new house in MO. Its a basement right now as my family is building the house themselves. When you pull into the driveway you may not see the house at first. The only sign of life in the area is all the cars parked in the front. I know that in time my mom will have a wonderful yard as she is good at doing that. The house is warm and cozy inside though.

There was a blizzard that first night and day so we stayed inside for the most part of the time I was home. We played games, did puzzles, watched movies, had a snow ball fight, and ate lots of wonderful food. My mom made my favorite cheddar broccoli soup with the grandma noodles in it one night for me which made me so happy.

We made a few trips out shopping at Wal-Mart, paid a visit to the Amish country area for some antique shopping (it really stinks that I have to fly and didn't have room in my suitcase to buy more stuff) and went to church on Sunday. The choir did great and I was surprised that my dad was singing in it. Its really by default that he does since he is already on stage with the bishopric but still he tries. Go Daddy!

Its really nice being able to spend Christmas with little kids. They get so excited about it which helps make you excited for it. I have to admit that Christmas has not become my favorite holiday of late. It serves as another reminder of my singledom and that another year has gone by with no progress towards finding my eternal companion. I will also admit that I did cry myself to sleep Christmas Eve over my singlehood status that even haunts me when I go home. Single is such a heartless title.

No worries I did have some fun over Christmas. We did our usual family dinner, game night and present opening Christmas Eve. Christmas Day Santa came and there seemed to be an explosion of presents and gift wrap everywhere. We spent the day watching new movies, playing with new toys, games, working on puzzles, and of course eating all the amazing christmas treats that mom makes every year.

I'm so blessed to have the family I do and the fun we can have together. Being away from them is becoming harder and harder and I would really like to be able to spend more time with them. Who knows what the new year will bring.

Happy Birthday Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment