Sunday, January 1, 2012

What are you doing this New Year?

You will notice me
I'll be leaving my mark like initials in an old oak tree
Just wait and see
Maybe I'll write like Twain wrote
Maybe I'll paint like Van Gogh
Cure the common cold, I don't know
But I'm ready to start because I know in my heart

I wanna do something that matters, say something different
Something that sets the whole world on its ear
I wanna do something better with the time I was given
I wanna try
To touch a few hearts in this life
Leave nothing less than something that says
"I was here"

I will prove you wrong
If you think I'm all talk you're in for a shock
Because this dream's too strong and before too long
Maybe I'll compose symphonies
Maybe I'll fight for world peace
Because I know it's my destiny
To leave more than a trace of myself in this place

I wanna do something that matters, say something different
Something that sets the whole world on its ear
I wanna do something better with the time I was given
I wanna try
To touch a few hearts in this life
Leave nothing less than something that says
"I was here"


These lyrics come from a song by Kristen Chenoweth that really express how I feel as I reflect on my life this past year and think about what I want to accomplish in the coming year. Someone asked me what is was that I learned this past year and as I thought about my answer it was live for yourself and in doing so you will effect others. I've in the past tried to be a people pleaser. I've tried to accommodate people into my life and have found that I have been burned. I've felt left behind, taken advantage of, and used. This past year was no exception to those feelings. While I may have filled my life last year with many "things" few of them were of any great significant importance.

This year I want to change my life and the things I am doing. I don't want to just be "busy." I want to be doing fulfilling things that will be progressing me towards my goals and God's purpose for me. The ultimate goal is to get back to my Heavenly Father and I want to rededicate my life to doing so.

Now not everything needs to be so church focused. I have other interests that I want to incorporate into a stronger influence into my life. There are organizations and causes that I want to look into and join. It's time for me to stop doing "hang out" thing. I don't want my life to be all these hang outs with friends. I want to be doing things that really matter and that I enjoy. I don't want to tell my kids that I hung out all the time in my single years. I want to say I was a part of this organization, or that event as an active participant and not a by stander. I want my life to not just be another life. I'm better than that. I want my life to count for something. I don't want to let the moments pass me by because I was playing around until Prince Charming comes along. I'm young and have so much passion for life that I need to focus on. Ambitions and goals I want to achieve and while marriage is one of them, I have no control over when it will happen. But I do know that it's not happening now so I need to make other fulfilling, good works take a priority into my life.

Thanks Kristen Chenoweth for these inspiring words. I may not make a huge splash on the pages of the world's history, but I can write in the pages my own personal history so when I go back to the Lord I can say, "you gave me these talents, I did this with them and gained these talents as well." And I hope that he will say, "Well done, though good and faithful servant."

No comments:

Post a Comment