Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Day on Broadway

I decided to take a little day trip up to NYC to see a couple of shows, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder and Bridges of Madison County.  Both shows were amazing but very different.  The first was very comical and fun while the second was more melodious and serious in nature.  I loved them both and am so glad that I made the trip up to see these shows.

I made the trip to see Kelli O'Hara in Bridges of Madison County before it closes next week. It was truely enchanting. The story of a woman who has a four day love affair with a national geographic photographer and makes the decision to stay with her family instead of running away. It tells of how we can have multiple things/people we love and having to choose which love to pursue more. The show was similar to great musicals of old. Think Carousel, Oklahoma, and State Fair.

A Gentlemans Guide to Love and Murder was a very different more modern take on Broadway musicals even though its set in 1907 Europe.  The show was nominated for 10 Tony awards so I wanted to see what it was about. It was quite fun and very creative. I wouldn't be able to listen to the soundtrack without seeing it at the same time but the music was fun. It reminded me of the Addams Family in style a creativity. The staging was very fun and the fact that one performer could play 9 different roles was really impressive.

Two very different musicals, one to entertain, the other to make you think. Both truly amazing with great talent.

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome Kara!!! Hey hey!! If I get to go on tour next year with the orchestra and temple square and Motab you should come see me!! We'll be going to DC and NYC and Boston! Miss you! Seriously the best roomie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. If you go on tour next year please let me know. I will most definitely be a groupie and follow you around. I went to the Motab concert last time they came to DC and loved it. I will definitely go again. Miss you tons. Come visit the east coast anytime.

    ReplyDelete