Friday, May 25, 2012

Memorial Weekend Day 1

Today I was reminder about why I love libing in the DC metro area. My Aunt Carolyn came out to visit me for the weekend. She has never been to DC before so of course I need to make sure that she visits all the iconic DC sites.

She started off with a tour of the Capitol Building while I was in work meetings downtown. We met up outside of the Capitol and made our way over to the Jefferson Library of Congress building. I love being surrounded by all the amazing books full of history and stories of life and culture from all over the world and throughout time. Not only are there amazing books but the architecture is astounding. Every inch of the interior is a work of art. Looking up, are amazing mosaics depicting different authors from various genres and quotes. The frescos on the walls are magical that transport you into various times and places. There are statues of literary icons everywhere. Cute little cherubs are intricately cut along the stairwells. The marble floors designs are captivating. Pretty much everywhere you look rich decor enfolds you.

We then made our way over to the Supreme Court building. It's great to be reminded of the third branch of our government that is established to ensure that justice is upheld. The feeling inside the building is one of respect for justice, law and order in the country and for each other.

After fully exploring Capitol Hill we made our way down to the National Gallery of Art. I love walking around and getting lost in the paintings of so many famous artists. Monet, Manet, Degas, Raphael, Da Vinci, Van Gogh, Bassatt, all great artists that have given so much joy to in my life.

Finally we made our way to the Natural History museum for a viewing of the Hope Diamond. I mean really, where in the world would you wear that to? Even so, it's a beautiful diamond that a girl can dream about while singing along to Diamonds Are a Girls Best Friend.

It's wonderful to be able to explore such a great city with so much to give and offer. I love living here and being able to share these national treasures with others. We'll see where tomorrow takes us.

No comments:

Post a Comment